Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A mess is just a mess

So one of my New Year's resolution is to be less fussy with my kids. I was inspired by my Dad who let Katie play in the kitchen with water and cups and floaty toys for almost 2 hours the one time he was babysitting, and by my awesome sister-in-law Mel who lets her boy play with cookie dough or whatever and then after what seems like hours of fun cleans up the mess and off they go. So I leaned that a mess is just that, a mess. Clean it up and that's that.
So today I actually put it into practice. I had 1/2 hour to get supper on the table, both girls were tired and cranky, but I wanted to get them fed before I put them to bed, so I gave this "let them make a mess" a try. And just to let you know, the pics don't really capture the whole, very wet picture.
Maya was busy grabing anything in her reach to play in the sink with.
Nothing tastes better than sucking on a day old dish cloth;)
Then Katie wanted to be part of the fun too. (Muetti, I think I need another one of those water proof aprons. The one we had worked great, at least for the part of the clothes that were covered by it.)
Big splashing everywhere, the counter was soaked, the chair was wet and standing in a puddle on the floor.
The fun ended when Katie dumped a whole tupperware containder of water all over herself, which she DID NOT like and burst into tears. Yes, it was getting closer and closer to nap time (they are both out cold right now, by the way). So they both needed an complete wardrobe change, the floor got an additional cleaning, I got to prep my lunch in relative peace and quiet and in the end the only consequences were 2 wet girls, a thoroughly cleaned sink, clean counter, clean floor and another meal cooked for my 4 hungry men (Uncle Marc was here today again). So, I think this mess was well worth it!!

2 comments:

  1. i MUST clarify! i do let nate make a mess but it's what i like to call "controlled mess" meaning i have rules and he has to follow them :)
    e.g kitchen water play. water stays in the sink, no dumping, throwing or flinging. i put a towel on the floor and around the sink for quick clean up

    cookie dough- no eating until the end, dough must stay on the counter, if it falls on the floor he has to pick it up, bowls are used to catch the sprinkles :)

    see controlled mess :) hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's too funny! well, if you had a drain in the center of the kitchen you could just hose it all down...maybe in my next house i'll have center drains in every room of the house...and maybe a built-in sprinkler system so you just turn it on...ok, maybe that's too much. stop giving me ideas, melanie! I mean Ursi! :)

    ReplyDelete