Sunday, January 15, 2012

Swamp skating

We still don't have any snow worth talking about, but the last few days have been cold and ablsolutely gorgoeous to be outside. We have a couple of skating ponds that Jeff and a couple from our missionary training program (they are at the Liebenzell Center for some time away from the city) have cleared for the group that was here this weekend. After they were done they ventured further into our flooded swamp (I guess there's one good thing about all the rain we got in the fall and beginning of the winter). It turned out that they could skate through the swamp a long way, dodging trees, little islands and lots of downed branches along the way. So both on Saturday and Sunday afternoon the whole family got bundled up and we went swamp skating. It is sooo much fun!! Check out the pics to get a bit of an idea.
Jeff is doing donuts with Maya.

Katie and Maya were just out there in their boots, but still had lots of fun.

Doing piruetts (spelling??) and doing a great job staying upright. Better than I would do I'm sure.

Maya also did a great job wandering about, though she spent most of the time in the little sled being pulled along. We tried, but the girls only tolerated the double load long enough to take a picture, barely.


I didn't put on my skates for most of the afternoon but had tons of fun (and exercise) clearing paths through the tangled mess of branches for the skaters to whip through. Maya was quite content to just sit there and getting pulled sloooowly as I worked.

My wonderful (and handsome!!) hubby getting ready for some ice time.

you can get a bit of a picture of what the swamp looks like. It would be perfect to play tag with all the little trails, paths and occasional larger areas.

Jeff and Maya exploring uncharted territory.

Maya loved leaning back in the sled and looking at the trees and the beautiful blue sky. Both days we were out on the ice for a good 2 hours and both girls did awesome the entire time. No fussing, no whining, just enjoying the outdoors.

The girls examining something. I couldn't make out what they were looking at. some stick or rock or something??
Rosy cheeks and big smile. She was like that the entire time.

Katie didn't want to pose for me so I asked her to show me a big smile for cousing Nate. So Nate, here you go!
Trying to break the "tree". I think in the end the tree won!!


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the tour of of our swamp skating. We hope the weather will hold. (and I'm thinking it would be even more fun if there's a couple of feet of snow on either side of the little trails. It would give me the workout for a lifetime I'm sure. Probably won't have as many trails, but it might be worth the effort. Anyway... we first need snow!!


I wish you all a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. serious looking fun! that would be so cool to chase and play tag, even with boots on!

    ReplyDelete