Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Birthday and Haircut

This post is almost 2 weeks overdue, but I thought I'll share the "old" news anyway.

Katie's 5th Birthday!

A couple of days early the "local" family gathered to celebrate Katie's birthday.  Katie asked for a chocolate and strawberry cake, but she had to make due with raspberries and strawberry filling.  What can you do with a December birthday??
 Katie got all dressed up for her party.  She was not only the birthday girl, she was the birthday PRINCESS!
 2 sets of grandparents and the only uncle that regularly visits our house came for cake and ice cream in the afternoon and a light supper after.
 Opening presents was of course the best part, and Katie sure loved the gifts she got!!  Thank you to all who blessed her!
 

Birthday Party # 2

On her actual birthday we had Katie's (and mine as host) first party with school friends.  Since it was close to Christmas I though we could do a Cookie Baking party.  It was more work than I thought, but I loved it and I think it was an all around success.
 First the 6 girls were split into 2 groups.  One group helped make Choc Chip cookies (everything measured and ready like a cooking show, they got to help me dump and mix) 
 The other 3 girls got to roll drop sugar cookie dough in coloured sugars and sprinkles.  Thank you Jeff for manning the making of the balls.  (I made the dough the day before so it had time to chill)
After about 15 min we switched and the second group of girls helped me make coconut/cranberry oatmeal cookies.
 Then while I got caught up with the baking, and Jeff cleaned up the sugared and sprinkled table and floor, the girls went and played for a while.
 For the second round we had some previously baked sugar cookies and a gingerbread man that the girls could decorate
meanwhile some of the girls helped with the chocolate cut out cookies (dough was made the day before and chilled).
For the loot "bag" they all got to take home a tin of freshly baked cookies as well as an apron (which they got at the BEGINNING of the party:)
 
 My best idea about the whole party was going out for supper after.  Katie loved the attention she got at East Side Marios.

The Haircut

 As you can see Maya's hair was getting quite long, half way down her back.  Even though brushing and doing her hair in the morning was getting to be a bit of a chore, she looked so nice and angelic with her long blond hair that I just didn't have the heart to cut it.
 Well, Maya made the choice for me when she took the scissors to her mane.  She took chunks out all around her head leaving the cut sections about chin length.  (And yes, I was over at the mission feeding 20+ Germans when this happened so I can blame no one but myself)
I though the "end"result looked so cute!  I just kind of evened things out around the back and left her lopsided bangs as is.  After about a week though I decided I should take to a hairdresser anyway, just to polish things up.  That was on a Friday.

On Saturday...

...our little Miss Maya decided to give it another try and cut her hair AGAIN!!  I was getting ready for Katie's family B-day party and when I want to check on her in the bathroom she was busy cutting her hair.  She chopped the side of it at about the middle of her ear.
 So, thankfully there was a 7 day guarantee from the hair salon so I took her back on the Tuesday to see what they can do.  He first tried to just round things out, but in the end there was just too big of a chunk of hair missing.  So the end result:
A short, LAYERED cut that still looks cute, but doesn't give the illusion of "angelic" anymore :)

3 comments:

  1. very creative birthday party! love it!!! i am going to steal this idea in a few years!

    i love m's hair, the cut is cute! she can wear shorter hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to be a kind of life there was a privilage! Thanks Ursi for your informative nice blog . It is allways nice as Grosi to see the times repeat it self !! The party I belive it was a big sucsesse . You put a lot of work and time in it. I am sure the girls will remember this party for a long time. Love you . MUETTI

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha :D amazing! Seems like Maya found her profession ;D
    That sounds like a great birthday party! I bet the girls love it so much.
    Have a wonderful an blessed christmas time!
    Lukas

    ReplyDelete